Tuesday, June 02, 2015

Translating some songs of Perumal Thirumozhi

I am mad, for my Thirumal !
I don't mix with this crowd,
which takes this world
of deception as real.
My Master! My Ranga !
So do I call and call
losing me in longing for Him!

Joy for food, joy for dress
enjoying, this world runs about
I am away from it
And I am  a lunatic
of one who sucked
the ogre's breast;
In Him lives the Universe full,
He, my beloved Ranga.

The perfect path,
with no blemishes
I am onto it
And I don't get mixed up with others;
The primordial Cowherd,
He, my Ranga!
I am mad for Him,
who is the lover
of the lass on the lotus.

Ghostly they look,
everybody to me;
and of course I am so
to them in return;
what is the use,
talking about this?
I call and call
Hey Cowherd! Hey Ranga!
and for my Lord
I am rid with spirit!

These are my translations of Perumal Thirumozhi of Alwar Kulasekara, 3.1, 3.4, 3.5, 3.8

மெய்யில் வாழ்க்கையை
மெய் எனக் கொள்ளும்
இவ் வையம் தன்னொடும்
கூடுவதில்லை யான்.
ஐயனே! அரங்கா!
என்று அழைக்கின்றேன்
மையல் கொண்டு ஒழிந்தேன்
என் தன் மாலுக்கே.

உண்டியே உடையே
உகந்தோடும்
இம் மண்டலத்தோடும்
கூடுவதில்லை யான்
அண்டவாணன் அரங்கன்
வன் பேய்முலை
உண்டவாயன் தன்
உன்மத்தன் காண்மினே.

தீதில் நன்னெறி நிற்க
அல்லாது செய் நீதியாரொடும்
கூடுவதில்லை யான்.
ஆதி ஆயன்
அரங்கன்
அம் தாமரைப் பேதை மாமணவாளன்
தன் பித்தனே.

பேயரே எனக்கு யாவரும்
யானும் ஓர் பேயனே எவர்க்கும்
இது பேசி என்?
ஆயனே! அரங்கா!
என்று அழைக்கின்றேன்
பேயனாய் ஒழிந்தேன்
எம் பிரானுக்கே.

***