Tuesday, June 02, 2015

Translating Periyaalwar Thirumozhi 4.10.1

Why do we go for help
to persons who are capable?
Their help will be timely,
So we expect, is it not?
I have come to you for help,
may be, I fair poor,
in comparison with that elephant,
which you saved on call;
when the death comes
and knocks me down
I will not be mostly
in any position
to remember thee and call;
So, my Lord, I am telling you now.
when able and willing,
You who recline on the Snake
In the Island of Srirangam.

***
(My translation of Periya Alwar Thirumozhi, 4.10.1)

துப்பு உடையாரை அடைவதெல்லாம்
சோர்விடத்துத் துணை ஆவர் என்றே
ஒப்பிலேன் ஆகிலும்
நின் அடைந்தேன்
ஆனைக்கு நீ அருள் செய்தமையால்
எய்ப்பு என்னை வந்து நலியும் போது
அங்கு ஏதும்
நான் உன்னை நினைக்க மாட்டேன்
அப்போதைக்கு
இப்போதே சொல்லி வைத்தேன்
அரங்கத்து அரவணைப் பள்ளியானே!

***