Friday, November 20, 2020

A morning tea with Ranga !

 After retirement my Chennai life was over. 'Roaming everywhere, reaching Rangan over there' so goes a saying. By Mother's grace I reached back my Srirangam. That is some four years gone. When it was new, after a long long time, one morning I woke up to see bustling people across my door telling me, 'are you not coming? Perumal has come over there next door. Come come'. The Ranga Alimighty, is next door! Wow.. what these people talk! Next door is a doctor. Of course Narayana himself is a Doctor, curing the disease of worldliness. Yea why not? it suits Him. I was busy preparing tea then. But I heard the bustling feet so close to the side door where my oven was alive. I was curious. Opened it to see the Supreme Bhagavan smiling in his special Rangic style as if to say, 'hi! fool! Lazy crackpot! what? busy with tea?' I was so embarrassed. I was about to ask him, 'why not a cup?' to my own utter dismay. But anyhow I ran to the side isle to snatch a darshan across the streaming, milling crowd. But the hiatus of agony and shyness and joy, all rolled into one stunning time, I made it a poem and only then I was back to normal moods.

*
'That day, sleeping beyond time,
getting up and ablutions done, taking bath
I was busy with my tea
and intended to sip it in all lazy cozy fold back
in a corner as if to see eternity passing by.
But out in the veranda people bustled here and there
calling me also to come and have darshan
'Perumal has come over there next door!
aren't you coming man?'
What! Perumal! The Supreme Ranga? over there just next door?
How is it? Is it not that we must go to the temple?
how come here next door?
Yea next door is a doctor.
and of course Ranga is also a doctor;
it suits: Vaidhyo Narayano Hari:
But how come..!
But the bustling new dresses
and trepid loving feet
are already all over the isle;
with the pulses beating
I opened the side door
to see Lord Ranga in all his bewitching smile
as if to ask : Hi lazy tard!
I was taken aback in the nearness
and lost ground a moment
about to offer him the tea at hand
and why not tea with Ranga?
I was catching myself. thank God !
next moment with the thought
hey it is some ubhayam;
so He is visiting over there;
it is routine this time of year
part of that day's table.
But somehow I felt
he should be spying me;
what spying? me? what for?
He is everywhere; and
how am I thinking anything before He knows it first?
But I think He likes my company
and many people doesn't like I know.
But why He alone.. should like me..
but perhaps it is new..
so by and by, over time He will learn
and come to shun me cool
but new? nay how come..
it comes all the way long
down the time, from the beginning,
and even before, I don't know when;
He knows it all
and He knows me the lazy tard;
sure He likes my friendship
and if not how come in strange hours
He calls me and ..
and even in hours strange to street-dogs..
surely He must be loving me
but what is there in me, a nothing..
strange! this love between a Everything All
and a just nobody puny nothing lazy fellow
perhaps He is so starved of company?
hey... come on... it is nonsense...
But don't you hear? He is hissing 'Rascal'
do I alone hear? yea perhaps to the internal ear.
or the ear of consciousness... leave it.
Yea that day I was about to share with him in a tumbler
the tea I had in hand
but if I would have done like that
oh what a shame would have I been
in others' eyes, a mad-cap perhaps
'that is why Sir, these mad men like this fool
should not be allowed free
they should have been put behind locked doors
but what to do? people would have thought
'how to manage cracks like these
and let them at large upon the world'
so perhaps the people would have
epitaphed my life rest of my living.
Thank God! I just escaped
by feeling down to earth
'it is after all somebody's ubhayam'
But down to earth? yea
'earth she sits upon and takes the sand in hand
and say this earth belongs to Vaman;
so says my dear'
Srirangam Mohanarangan
***

No comments:

Post a Comment