Thursday, September 21, 2023

Some interesting questions ..

Why my friend asked this question, I do not know. Perhaps he thought that because I am taking all pains to gather positive quotes and progressive thoughts from the Sastra books of old and medieval times, that I am trying to show that there have been no negative aspects which needs correction and all the old was great and wonderful.
Far from it. I am well aware about the negative aspects and I am of conviction that as progressive-minded Hindus we must rectify and update and never cover up the wrong things. Three things I have never changed a bit in adhering to staunchly. One, I never have any sympathy for any system of thought which discriminates among human beings on the basis of birth or gender. I do not have any sympathy in any idea which smacks of discriminating women. And third, I am in my own way very devoted to Sri Ramakrishna and Swami Vivekananda, Sri Aurobindo, Mother and Sri Ramana and so I do not entertain attitudes of superiority or inferiority to any religion or method of worship, provided it is sincere and private and truthful.
Then why do you take so much pains to verify books archaic and old and of abstruse languages, was the next question from the friend. Hindu religion and its ancient culture have multiple voices. Never it has been arrested into a single narrative or perspective. Of course varna-dharma has been the dominant narrative down the time. But staunch counter-voices of equality have been raised all down that time. May be you can say, it is not so voluble as the dominant other one. But never the less this voice of equality has not been less voluminous. In fact it has been registered more authentically in various segments of people. My efforts have been towards help preserving and if possible promoting such positive vistas and thought currents and thereby making strong the voice of equality and genuine human values, right from those common references which the voices of discrimination and negativity claim solely by default. Actually this is vexing efforts but the patience will pay in the long run is, at least, what I believe.
Srirangam Mohanarangan
***


2 comments:

  1. Excellent description about your philosophical musings

    ReplyDelete
  2. The three things you mentioned is real thing in life. According to me if someone follows some custom and you are against it just to ignore the individual. you need not equate to the whole system. Even when we go to Hotel it is once choice to choose his food. you can't compel one which food he has to take.

    ReplyDelete