Friday, April 22, 2022

What is Vedanta? -- Introduction

Too many books on Vedanta are there in English. Then why again?. Of course I personally feel that the works of Swami Vivekananda, the works of Sri Aurobindo, Swami Chinmayananda and others are sufficient for any serious inquirer and student. But, for the youth, I intend to say something on the subject. Before that, it is better that I openly state my frame of mind. 

Three things I have avoided studiously in my life, even to entertain as an attitude. That means three things I have upheld even from my school days. Because of my father's influence, the effect of Bharathi on me, again due to my father, and my early involvement in Sri Ramakrishna and Swami Vivekananda, this frame of mind has come about even in my early years. I have changed my perspectives, undergone radical shifts of standpoints and all that. But in spite of all such changes of mind and all through such changes, three things have never changed in my considered conclusion. One, I subscribe to the thought that all human beings are equal and there is no superiority or inferiority based on birth. Second, I subscribe to the thought that human beings, irrespective of being male or female, enjoy equal status and equal claim. That is discrimination based on gender, I never subscribe to. Third, I subscribe to the thought that all religious paths are various ways to one Super Reality, viz., God. Of course, naturally, I am personally devoted to Sri Ramakrishna. So caste-bias, gender-bias, religion-bias are the three things I have resolutely avoided all through my life. And I believe most of the human ills are avoided if these three are avoided. 

But you may ask, if it is so with you, how come you are writing about Vedanta, in which caste is entertained by acharyas of old if not by modern sages like Swami Vivekananda. Not only that, in nearly all the ancient books, you find the problem of caste and caste-prone statements. Many teachers of the tradition have glossed on such statements rather than refuting such statements. Yes. I know that such is the situation, if you go by the traditions obediently. But even here I remain myself. Anything which is against the equality of human beings, I refuse and don't subscribe to, even if it is by great masters and sages. The same way with the problem of discrimination against women. And I believe whatever remains after giving up all these discriminations that is enough, at least, for me. So when I write about Vedanta, I am not too obediently voicing all the old tunes, but select what I think, the strong points of Vedanta. Only such thoughts of strength I intend to communicate to the young generations. If you are adamant in your sympathy of caste, gender discrimination and religious exclusivism, sorry, I am not your author and I do not write having you in my mind. I will earnestly request you to think deeply and reconsider your sympathies. 

And coming to the subject, Vedanta subsumes the idea of what is Veda. And Vedanta has its own three most important canons, called Prastanatrayam. (important three books). Upanishads, Sri Bhagavad Gita, Brahma Sutras are the three important books. My approach will be simple. I intend to introduce some ideas of Vedanta succinctly mainly to the young generations. Especially the ideas which are philosophically thought-provoking and have great implications in the progress of human thought and comparative philosophy of the world. 
Srirangam Mohanarangan 

***

No comments:

Post a Comment