Thursday, April 14, 2022

On seeing Jai Bhim ...

Jai Bhim, the movie. How I was touched by the film has a story behind and my memories so fond of Indian Bank! I was transferred to Salavakkam Branch in 2008. Of course an old story but which I cherish even now after retirement. In the beginning it was so hard at my age to commute between Salavakkam and Nanaganallur. Nearly five hours spent in travel, up and down every day. I also tried taking a room in Chingleput but practically it didn't work out. But the offset was clean air, different people with different mindsets and the flow of life in rural sides. And if you find yourself in a good team with the manager and other officers you are lucky. I was lucky in that way. One Mr Balu came as the manager after some months of my joining. As days went by I was becoming more and more appreciative of his ways of dealing with people, his talks, his manners. Very ebullient, his sense of judging the people was quick and sharp. At that time the scheme of giving loans to Kuravars, Irulars and others, hapless people suffering and it was a needy gesture of care and attention through banks. The amount was not big but still the documentation and recovery aspects were there to be taken into account as part of banking procedures. But the manager was determined to implement the scheme to the full benefit of the people in dire state. His enthusiasm was firm. And he asked us clerks and substaffs about our timings, in case of additional work and all that. Because it becomes a real problem if you miss that particular bus at that time and things like that. 

Knowing about the state of existence of the people concerned like Kuravars, Irulars and others, there was no second thought in me. I told him not to bother about my conveniences and that I liked his initiative personally. And of course the Manager's enthusiasm was contagious. I even now remember his saying to me: 'My friend! we may not realise what a good thing we are doing just now at this time. But definitely in our later years it will be a blessing on us and in our memory giving solace.' And how many people were benefitted! and seeing smiles on so many hapless faces heavy-laden with worries and problems ! 

Recently when I talked to the Manager we shared the old memories mutually and we were opening at the same moment exclaiming 'Sir! did you see Jai Bhim? I remembered you and our days more than a decade ago in Salavakkam.' Yea seeing the dire state of the people shown in the film with tears, I was so happy that I was given a chance to be of service in the chain of activities all thanks to Indian Bank and the unforgettable Mr Balu. If our Bank had not transferred me at that time to Salavakkam I would not have met Mr Balu and neither would I have had the chance of service by being a part of the activities.
Srirangam Mohanarangan 

***

No comments:

Post a Comment